Permitted Development Consultancy

You can make certain types of minor changes to your house without needing to apply for planning permission. These are called “permitted development rights” and are described below. They derive from a general planning permission granted not by the local authority but by Parliament. Bear in mind that the permitted development rights which apply to many common projects for houses do not apply to flats, maisonettes or other buildings.

In some areas of the country, known generally as ‘designated areas’, permitted development rights are more restricted. If you live in a Conservation Area, a National Park, an area of outstanding natural beauty or the Norfolk or Suffolk Broads, you will need to apply for planning permission for certain types of work which do not need an application in other geographical areas. There are also different requirements if the property is a listed building.

Often the following projects can be carried out under permitted development rules:

  • Loft Conversions
  • Extensions
  • Conservatories
  • Outbuildings
  • Porches

This is not always the case and you will still need to consider the requirements of building regulations.

Please contact us for further information on permitted developments or to make an appointment with a surveyor.